Sure, shelf systems in garages are excellent for storage, but their uses don’t end there. Read on to learn more about available shelves and how they can revolutionize the garage.
When you think of a garage, you might picture cars, tools, and lots of boxes full of stuff. But when you let your imagination run wild with great garage shelf ideas, your garage can look great and be functional at all times.
Today we’ll be looking at all the possibilities under the sun for shelf systems and shelves. We’ll also delve into creating the perfect space for your specific needs.
You like this garage door? This is an Eastman E-11, 10'x7', Desert Sand door and overlays, 8 lite Panoramic windows
Step One is Preparation
The basics of the garage need to be delved into before jumping in the deep end with a shelving project. So take a second to consider what kind of items you plan to place on those shelves. Maybe you’ll have a watering can and hoe. Perhaps it’s a spot for all your tools. You might just need space for some of the items you want to keep around to pass down through generations.
Two things that your garage sees more of than the rest of the home are humidity and heat. This can cause an issue with moisture. Spend some time investigating the space and looking for signs of condensation. If present, some work may need to be done before bringing in the shelves. We’ll explain why below.
Effects of condensation:
● Metal items in the garage may start to rust
● Mildew could build up on items made of cloth or paper
● Photographs could be damaged
● The paint on picture frames could see damage
● In major cases, it could even lead to the growth of mold
Don’t worry: If you do see some condensation, the issue can still be rectified. There are many options, but one of the best is looking after both seals located near your garage door windows and the seal around your garage door.
Don’t want to handle it yourself? That’s okay too. Make a call to a garage door expert for an inspection and repairs. They can handle all the hard work so that you don’t have to.
Now that you’ve handled the problems, it’s time to consider the best garage shelf ideas and what each brings to the table.
A Conventional Shelf System
You’ll find that shelving typically comes in metal, plastic, or a combination of metal and wood. Conventional shelves are freestanding, so you can place them wherever you want. They also create tons of value.
The one caveat is that these shelves are often plain, so those who want a specific style may need to do some work. The good news is that slapping on some paint can go a long way. However, there are additional options for those who want something more. Now, let’s talk about what various shelf systems can provide you.
You like getting things organized AND cute? See these 25 garage door storage ideas from Abby Lawson, justagirlandherblog.com
Shelf System Material Options
● Plastic – One perk of a plastic shelf is that you can get it at many different locations. You can order them online, get them from a national big box store, or pick them up in local retail locations. Plastic shelves tend to weigh very little but are still durable and can hold lots of items. Unfortunately, they aren’t as good as other materials for extremely heavy items like power tools or large buckets of paint, so you might need to look elsewhere.
● Metal & Wood – These shelves can also be found in many places. Most of the time, they will have shelves made of wood or another wood-like material (such as pressboard or plywood) that are contained within a metal frame. Like plastic, these shelves aren’t quite as strong as metal shelves. Wood also has the tendency to degrade over time and becomes stained more easily.
● All-Metal – If you want top durability and strength, all-metal is an excellent choice. Choose a solid metal for the shelves or go with wire shelves. Keep in mind that these tend to look the most utilitarian and might not be right for certain styles. For those who don’t mind that look, the benefit is that all-metal shelves can hold almost anything.
Shelves That Mount to Walls
For something a little different, wall-mounted shelves are a great garage option. The shelves will attach directly to the wall and are typically sold as individual items. These come in wood and metal like the conventional shelves, but also all wood or all-metal versions.
What to Know About Wall-Mounted Shelves
● This shelf style is great if you need to save floor space.
● Most wall shelves won’t hold as much as a freestanding shelf system would.
● They offer ultimate flexibility since you install the shelves wherever you need them.
● Wall-mounted shelf systems are often more aesthetically pleasing than freestanding shelf systems, so they work well for those with a particular style in mind.
Shelves That Attach Overhead
In addition to the previous shelves, you can also choose an overhead system. Most of them are created of metal and will attach to the ceiling but extend down to connect to a shelf.
Browse these 10 Great Overhead Storage Ideas For The Garage from Homedit
Important Facts About Overhead Shelving
● Floor space should be held at a high premium in a garage, and overhead shelves free up more space on the ground.
● However, you’ll need to ensure the shelves are installed in a way where the garage door can still open and close.
● If you wish you could make the space over the door more functional, this kind of shelf helps.
● Volume is limited with overhead compared to freestanding shelves, but it can make the space easier to use.
Both space and aesthetics should be prioritized when choosing the best garage shelf idea. But before you make a final decision, take a few moments to inspect the garage.
Check the tracks on the door and see whether they need some maintenance. Look at the door and see if it’s starting to age. If so, it might be time for a new one. All of these issues can be handled quickly with the assistance of garage door experts.
Notice that you need a new garage door with plenty of insulation before you start organizing all your belongings? It might not be as expensive as you think; check out this information about the cost of a garage door.
You like full-view garage doors? These are California, 6'x8'-6" and 16'x 8'-6", Black aluminum frame, Sandblasted glass
Ready to Update with a New Garage Door?
Contact a garage door professional near you to find out what options you have. You can also inquire about repair and track maintenance services. There’s no reason to deal with these things on your own when experts can do it in less time – and for less money than you expect.
We’d be happy to assist you with finding the best way to get the storage space you want while adding to your curb appeal and keeping with your home’s design.
Laurent Overhead Door Systems has many ways to get in contact with us. For a simple option on your own terms, consider an email quotation.
Not sure what style your home is classified as? Learn more about the 3 styles so you pick a garage door that looks amazing on your home.
You can also reach us by phone at 603-524-4778.
We’re ready, willing, and able to help you make a decision that works for your needs.
Let your imagination flow.
Spend time at our Design Centre. You can even upload an image of your home and then see what several garage doors look like on it.
Not sure you’re ready?
You’ll find lots of gorgeous residential garage doors waiting for you here. Take a look at all the options out there and then let us know exactly what you envision in your new garage door.